Tuesday, January 5, 2010

re-thinking my inks

Well, I have been reading up on the cloth diaper debate alot in the last few weeks. I am still learning alot but I have found some pretty shocking things so far, that I thought I would pass along.
.
Cost benefits
.
For the amount of cloth diapers that I want and the brand that I want to buy it will cost me around $600 for diapers that will last me not only through one kid, but probably through 2 or more kids!
An average canadian baby will need between 5000 and 7000 diapers in the first 2 years of life. I took the average of 6000 and multiplied that by 0.25 cents (thats usually how much I pay for Kaileys diapers, those are the cheap sales too!) That adds up to $1500 bucks just for 2 years of diapers. Depending on when you potty train your kids, and how much you pay for diapers that adds up to ALOT of money my friends!!!!! Add to that the cost of wipes, creams and diaper genie refills .... phew!!
Now I know what you are thinking, "what about the cost to clean them?" well I calculated that to, according to nova scotia power the cost would be an extra 60 to 70 bucks a year. not that bad, if you ask me.
.
So, one point for the cloth side! Less money!
.
Environmental benefits - In Canada there are 4 MILLION diapers thrown out every day!!!! every day!! that is 1.6 BILLION diapers a year!! just in canada alone! wowzers. Add to that, that landfills are not supposed to be handling human waste, making them a breeding ground for viruses and deseases. Don't feel better if you don't live near a landfill. Those garbage trucks drive right past your front door full of biohazerdous waste! gross.
.
Here is probably the most shocking thing I found out! There is a product inside of all disposable diapers called polyacrylates. It used to be used in tampons until it got linked to toxic shock syndrom and so it got banned from use in tampons, but is still being used in our baby's diapers!!! Does anyone else see something wrong with that???? Not only has it been linked to toxic shock, but also a higher rate of respitory problems like asthma and pnemonia etc etc etc.
Tin has also been found in disposable diapers, and rate of 3.6 higher the daily exposure allowable by the WHO.
.
It doesnt look as hard to clean as I thought. You just dump out the diapers into the wash. You don't have to like pre-wash the poo by hand or anything like that.
.
Not that I am trying to switch people over to cloth diapers BUT if I had known this when Kailey was born, I definetly would have used cloth. I would switch right now with her, but we are going to start the potty training in the next week or two, so we don't have much more need of diapers.
.
And they arent the diapers that you are thinking of either. They are all pre-sewed and fitted, with velcro straps, so it makes them just as easy to change and put on as disposable!!
.
Anyway, I just wanted to pass along information to Mommys, and potential mommies!!

4 comments:

The Full Nelson said...

I had no idea about the stuff in diapers..not sure if it would be worth it now on my last kid to try cloth...what brand are you looking at trying?

Kristine said...

I have seen alot of great reviews on BumGenius and FuzziBuns. I have been watching video reviews from a lot of differant blogs and those 2 keep coming up as really great brands so I might have a stash made up of both of those types.
There is a store over in halifax that sells them for about 25 bucks each, but I found some smoking deals on e-bay for alot less.

Kristine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Let the party begin... said...

So glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. However I'm going to show it to Savannah. thanks for the info.