Friday, August 21, 2009

Apologies and Confessions

Well lets start with the apology. I suck at blogging, we all know this by now. I would be surprised if anyone still reads my pathetic excuse for a blog. I'm sorry guys, maybe someday I will catch up to you, but for now please love me for the crappy blogger that I am.

Next up, I was reading Kristis recent blog about the amount of TV that goes on (which i completley understand). The amount of feed-back and ideas that she got has inspired me to make a confession of my own in the hopes of getting some ideas from my fellow mommies out there.
I have a picky eater, and I have indulged her picky ways for far too long. The worst of it was to allow her to watch TV while I fed her so that she would be distracted enough that I could shove some food into her mouth before she realized what I was doing. I have decided in the last month that i will no longer allow tv and food to be together. So here is the situation, Kailey is not only a picky eater, she is far too busy to sit still long enough to eat anything. WHen she does get hungry enough to sit and eat she is VERY independant and will not let me feed her, she has to do it herself .... meaning, she feeds the floor.

So to the moms of picky eaters everywhere... any ideas?????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all I am a big believer in doing what you need to do to keep everyone happy! But if you feel for you that you want to change things up I think that kids will always eat when they get hungry. And they will eat what they need, meaning that they don't need as much food as we do and sometimes that's hard to remember. I know with Hunter that it made a huge difference when he started feeding himself! Like night and day difference. I started letting him feed himself his yogurt at 15 months and it didn't take long before he was really good at it. I know that it can be hard to deal with the mess because lets face it we don't have enough time to do the things we need to do. If I wasn't up for a huge mess I would open a garbage bag up and set the high chair on it and then throw it out. Not good for the environment but great for ones sanity! Even though they are our babies they want their independence!

Kristi Drennan said...

I agree with Tanya. Isaiah is the same way and this is actually going to be my next post about the cute kid, but I too think they will eat when they are hungry. We get so used to constantly offering food and then we keep doing it when they get older so food is always at their disposal and maybe they take some advantage of that. Isaiah knows how to tell me when he's hungry (he knows the sign for it) and has asked me...so now I'm trying to just let me ask when he wants something and then I show him his options and let him pick and feed himself no matter how messy. He used to watch TV (darn TV) but now I feed him in a different place and turn it off. I just changed his scene. The other thing that my cousin pointed out to me was that I rarely ever eat with him. She noticed that I was trying to get him to eat breakfast for a couple of hours constantly offering and asking yet I have trouble with eating too early and a lot of breakfast foods I'm allergic to so I often wait and have an early lunch. She said he's just following my lead. Thanks for your comment! I appreciate it a lot!

Kristi Drennan said...

Ok so my last thought was chopped off...about following my lead and thanks for the comment. Don't ask..I'm just a little over tired hee hee!

Claudine said...

I have a picky eater...and I let him watch TV and eat. I've done it with my parents for years.

Letting a kid eat by themselves is AMAZING!! Even if the food gets all over the floor she's doing it herself and you'll get some more independance. It's great sometimes to be free.

Dex is the worst picky eater I know. He won't even eat fruits or veggies (that I know of. Ok...maybe bananas, canteloupe and watermelon...but that's all I've had success with).

I don't know what to tell you though. I hope it's a phase...but I loves ya and supports ya.

Let me know any tricks you find out!